February 2, 2012 by Ellen V
Happy February 2, world! The groundhog tells us 6 more weeks of winter, but I don’t believe it. It has been unseasonably warm in Milwaukee, and the forecast looks like it will stay that way for awhile. Jane and I have been taking walks every day. In Wisconsin, things can change at a moment’s notice, and I want to take advantage of every single day above freezing just in case our March and April are filled with blizzards. Crazier things have happened!
We’re learning about each other every day here in the V House. Jane’s one month appointment went well–she’s off the charts in height, which explains why she’s busting out of just about everything these days and eating like a horse. In the meantime, Eric and I are trying to find easy but healthy ways to feed ourselves, now that the meals from others (what a gift they were!) have slowed down a bit. Our favorite food gifts have included:
- Any Soup and Bread Combination You’d think this would get old, but it doesn’t. And it reheats so well!
- Butternut Squash Mac & Cheese Wow, this was incredible. Martha has a version here. All the pasta dishes we received were awesome, but this one takes the cake.
- Mexican Anything With easy to combine/add to/vary ingredients, tacos, enchiladas, and the like were easy to heat up, reheat, and pop in the freezer (yeah, like they ever made it that far).
- Breakfast Foods Sweet breads and breakfast fixings helped out at a busy time of day, especially when Eric went back to work.
- Fast Food Gift Cards I hate to admit it, but the first couple weeks were really hard enough that gift cards to fast food places were a real treat. It was such a blessing to be able to swing by some place and get ready-to-eat food or (even better) to have it delivered. I will definitely keep this in mind for others when I get the chance to pay it forward!
- Groceries A few people (Mama K included) dropped off ingredients to stock our panty that we could use in whatever way we liked. We’ve been able to keep our grocery bill low for the last several weeks because of these kind gifts.
I have several friends who are expecting over the next few months, and I can’t wait to use some of the kindness others have bestowed on us toward them. We’re all a little happier when we’re well fed, I think!